Behind the curtain
Summary of the project “Online Training Courses for E+ Youth Workers”
“Online Training Courses for E+ Youth Workers” started from some research we did; we had some internal and external meetings and we discovered that some NGOs have a specific challenge: no proper tools available to train youth workers in youth programmes flexibly, when the need arises, not only when some courses are offered.
For example, being a mentor is generally not a full time job and it's hard to find suitably trained people, especially in small communities. In addition, organisations face high human resources fluctuation for such positions. This is a field where employees do not stay for long and people are changing a lot because projects are not something with continuity – there are breaks between projects and this is much more valid for youth exchanges. Somebody who is sent now as a leader for a group of young people is likely not be available again next month/year. To conclude, there is, obviously, a need for a flexible training system to prepare youth workers in narrow fields of Erasmus+: Volunteering (mentors, facilitators), coordinators and leaders in youth exchanges.
Through open and innovative practices in digital area such as gamification of learning or Open Educational Resources we aim to gain relevant and high quality skills and competences. Our proposed activities will promote quality youth work through 10 innovative approaches, among them being ETS model of competences, creation of intercultural-virtual-community out of 4 non-formal networks of learning and innovative inter-connection between the world of youth work and that of employment etc.
The project includes the following characteristics: framework of MOOC, usage of OER, adapted KOLB learning cycle to e-learning rules and products of the project such as e-books and e-games for open use.
The project will be implemented by 5 partners from 4 countries and will result in the development of 4 innovative online courses for 4 positions in youth work:
● online course for project managers in E+ projects;
● online course for mentors in EVS;
● online course for facilitators in EVS;
● online course for leaders in youth exchanges;
We are also planning to create 4 non-formal networks - communities of practice.
The participants in these training courses will have two entry levels: basic and advanced. At advanced level participants will form innovative intercultural-virtual-communities of youth workers with the profiles mentioned above.
These are some of the elements proposed in the project:
● Online pages - reading the online pages which we will post for every course;
● E-book – downloading a file if the participant wants to print it out;
● E-game – playing a game;
● Movie – watching short movies on different topics;
● Task – doing a task/concrete activity;
● Sharing - sharing the achievements with other participants, learning from others;
● Bibliography – doing supplementary research on the proposed sources;
● Peer evaluation – evaluating the work done by other participants;
● Mind map – using images containing key elements of the course, available for download and print in good quality format;
● Webinar – participating in online activities with other participants.
Partners of the project:
- PREDICT CSD CONSULTING – ROMANIA;
- ASOCIACION MUNDUS – SPAIN;
- V2020 – UNITED KINGDOM;
- CESIE – ITALY;
- MILLENIUM CENTER – ROMANIA.